At SurrogateFirst, we know first-hand the emotional roller coaster Intended Parents have gone through to bring them to the decision of using a surrogate to realize their dreams of having children. Every team member at SurrogateFirst has been through the surrogate journey either as Intended Parents or as surrogates so we have first-hand knowledge of what is required to have a successful and rewarding surrogate journey. Because of our experiences, we are extremely passionate about helping others who are going through this process. We are experts in guiding Intended Parents in their surrogate journeys and we are with you every step of the way.
Intended Parent Steps
The seven steps below outline SurrogateFirst’s streamlined approach to finding and matching our Intended Parent(s) with a passionate, fully-vetted surrogate who is the perfect fit for you as you begin your journey to parenthood. Our team of experts walk hand-in-hand with you to guide you throughout your journey and to facilitate every detail with your fertility center, attorneys, insurance brokers, as well as the day-to-day with you and your surrogate.
- Your journey begins with a complimentary consultation with one of our Surrogate Coordinators. She will learn more about you, your story, and your wishes/desires for your surrogate journey.
- At SurrogateFirst, we know that everyone has their own unique story and we pride ourselves on taking whatever time is required to get to know you and understand what matters most to you.
- Once you have chosen to partner with SurrogateFirst, we don’t waste anytime. We assign you a dedicated Case Manager who will discuss what you are looking for in a surrogate. We then take the criteria you have shared is most important to you (i.e. communication style, marital status, etc) and find a surrogate from our fully-vetted, pre-screened, passionate surrogates who is a great fit for you.
- We share the surrogate’s profile with you and answer any questions you may have. If you express interest in exploring a match with the surrogate presented to you, we send your profile information for the surrogate to review. If she also expresses interest in exploring a match, we facilitate a video call for you and the surrogate to get to know each other better.
- If you and the surrogate both decide to move forward, the match is official, celebration time!! Your Case Manager will begin lining up your surrogate’s medical screening at your clinic.
Your surrogate begins a medical work up at your fertility clinic to gain clearance to begin the journey.
- SurrogateFirst connects you with our top-rated legal experts who begin working with you to draft your contract, which outlines the agreement between you and your surrogate.
- A Gestational Surrogate Agreement is a contract between Intended Parent(s), the surrogate and her partner/spouse, if applicable. These agreements detail the parties' rights, obligations, intentions and expectations in connection with the surrogacy arrangement. Because surrogacy laws differ by state, it also addresses the legal requirements of the state where your surrogate resides. The contract also outlines future contact between the parties, insurance (both health and life), payment of medical bills, liability for medical complications, and the Intended Parents' presence during doctor's visits and at delivery. Financial considerations such as the surrogate’s compensation and expenses, including lost wages, legal fees, childcare and maternity clothes are also addressed.
SurrogateFirst partners with experts who specialize in fertility insurance. Your Case Manager will complete an initial insurance benefits inquiry to see if your surrogate's insurance is likely to cover surrogacy. If she doesn’t have a plan in place, your insurance expert will recommend different insurance options for you based on your specific case. Fertility insurance is part of the overall cost of surrogacy.
Your surrogate prepares for the embryo transfer and begins medications on the first cycle day of her period, anywhere from 1–5 weeks after legal clearance and she is closely monitored during this time. The embryo transfer takes within one day at your fertility clinic.
Once your surrogate becomes pregnant, your dedicated Case Manager at SurrogateFirst is with you every step of the way until delivery. We work with you, your surrogate and the hospital to ensure a smooth and secure birth.
SurrogateFirst Partners with only The Best - How we select our Surrogates
SurrogateFirst’s stringent screening process ensures that our surrogates meet strict requirements to ensure a successful pregnancy. When a surrogate applies with SurrogateFirst, she will fill out an informational questionnaire to determine whether she meets the requirements listed below. In addition to ensuring she meets these requirements, our surrogates will further undergo an extensive 5-Step Screening Process. SurrogateFirst’s extensive vetting process ensures that we partner with only the best; therefore, reducing the amount of time your surrogacy process takes.
Each surrogate that works with SurrogateFirst must:
- Be 21-40 years old
- Have a BMI of 18-32
- Be a non smoker and nobody in the household smokes
- Have had at least one successful pregnancy
- No more than two c-sections
- Have waited six months after her last vaginal birth and 12 months after her last C-section birth
- Be currently raising a child
- Had no major complications in previous pregnancies
- Have completed a pap smear in the last year
- Not receiving state assistance
- Be able to travel as needed for surrogacy appointments
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no tattoos or piercings within the last 12 months
- Not be on antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication within the last 12 months
Once it is determined that a surrogate meets these requirements, she will undergo SurrogateFirst’s 5-Step Screening process to further ensure she is prepared for a successful surrogate journey.
Five-Step Screening Process
We get to know our surrogates; we ask detailed questions to learn their personalities, family circumstances and why they are choosing surrogacy.
We make sure our surrogates have their OB’s approval to complete a successful surrogate journey.
We check all members of her household over age 18.
We make sure our surrogates our financially stable and not receiving any government assistance.
SurrogateFirst completes an initial insurance benefits inquiry to see if your surrogate's insurance is likely to cover surrogacy. If it is not likely to cover insurance, your Case Manager will work with our expert insurance brokers to get you the best quote available that is unique to your situation.
SurrogateFirst’s comprehensive screening process reassures our Intended Parents that they are in good hands and on the road to a successful journey.